I have found that frosting is a great way to infuse certain ingredients into a pastry that do not fare well with heating or baking or to add additional layers of flavor to a dessert. Matcha (finely milled green tea) works great as a flavoring agent in baked goods, but it comes through great in frosting, as I found with this recipe. It is on the sweet side, so I might try this again as a cream cheese frosting.
Adapted from Cupcake Bakeshop
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 c. heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 tbsp. matcha powder
- 3 c. confectioners sugar, sifted
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip butter until fluffy.
- In a small bowl, mix cream and matcha until well combined.
- To the electric mixer, add 1 c. sugar and beat until combined. Scrape down bowl, then add 1/3 of the cream-matcha mixture. Beat to combine, scrape down bowl, then add another cup of sugar. Continue alternating until you have used up all of the remaining ingredients. Turn the mixer to high, and whip until frosting is light and fluffy.